Wellness Forum 2018
"Providing Holistic Care to the LGBTQ Community"
SAVE THE DATE: June 7, 2018
7600 N. Academic Dr.
Peoria, IL 61615
Registration Open for Wellness Forum
Registration is now open for the Methodist College 2018 Wellness Forum "Providing Holistic Care to the LGBTQ Community."
Learn how to be a better caregiver for members of the LGBTQ community in healthcare and educational settings. Providing Holistic Care to the LGBTQ Community focuses on educating the professionals who provide care, support or services to anyone in the LGBTQ community. The forum features two keynote speakers and three blocks for concurrent break-out sessions.
Methodist College is partnering with Behavioral Health at UnityPoint and the East Central District of the National Association of Social Workers to host the 2018 Wellness Forum. The Wellness Forum gathers health care and human service professionals to share new research and innovative practices in a critical area of human care. The 2018 Wellness Forum theme is designed for professionals who provide services to members of the LGBTQ community.
Continuing education credits are available for nurses, medical assistants, social workers, counseling professionals, K-12 educators and other professionals.
Magda Houlberg, M.D., is the Chief Clinical Officer at Howard Brown Health in Chicago, the nation's largest LGBTQ organizations.
Beckett Kenny is a student at Bradley University who is known for his activism and is co-founder of the Intersectional Feminist Club.
Breakout Session Topics
- LGBTQ Health at the Crossroads (Keynote)
- Creating Affirming Learning Environments
- Counseling LGBTQ Substance Abusers
- Bridging the Gap between LGBTQ Health Disparities and Undergraduate
Nursing Curriculum Inclusion
- Creating a Safe Zone
- Too Ugly for Bob Evans: A Story of a Gay Peoria Teen (Keynote)
- Creating Inclusive Environments for Trans Students
- Know the 10 Sign of Alzheimer's Disease
- You cannot believe what they just said to me! How to resolve
interpersonal and personal conflicts
- Transgender and Mental Health
- PrEP: Pre Exposure Prophylaxis
- Mental Health Substance Use Disorder within the LGBTQ Population
- Understanding Implicit Bias: The Key to Healthier Organizations and
- Eyes Wide Shut: An Advocate's Guide to Gender-Blind Living
Surviving and Thriving Open House and Panel
A public event will be held in the evening on June 6, for those wishing to attend. The event will feature Dr. Houlberg (keynote) and area leaders working with the HIV/AIDS population in the Peoria area. A piece of the AIDS Memorial Quilt will be on display at Methodist College during the event.