Bachelor of Science in Medical and Life Sciences
Methodist College is expanding on its mission to educate healthcare professionals and is launching a new Bachelor of Science in Medical and Life Sciences. The new bachelor's degree program will provide preparatory education in the areas of Biology, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Pharmacy, and Pre-Physician Assistant.
Students will be able to start at Methodist College directly from high school, or can be admitted with approved transfer credits from other accredited colleges and universities. Methodist College will be partnering with community colleges to develop articulation agreements that will streamline the transfer opportunities for students who choose to start their higher education studies at a community college.
The demand for more healthcare professionals is on the rise as healthcare is the largest employer in the Central Illinois region. According to the Greater Peoria Economic Developing Corporation, 708 healthcare organizations operate in the region employing 29,731 individuals in Peoria, Tazewell, Woodford, Mason, and Logan counties. This is 25% above the national average of healthcare professionals working in comparably sized communities. The healthcare cluster supports 16% of all jobs in Greater Peoria.
Admission Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Medical and Life Sciencies
The following criteria are used in holistic assessment of admission status to the Bachelor of Medical and Life Sciences program:
- Cumulative High school Grade Point (GPA) average minimum of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Minimum ACT score of 22 or composite SAT score of 1100
- Students who have earned college credit must have a transfer GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- The high school schedule of courses taken is used to determine the adequacy of preparation for college study. It is recommended that at least 13 units of study be in college preparatory courses, including English (4 years), Social Sciences (2 years), Mathematics (3 years), Laboratory Sciences (2 years), and a Foreign Language or Fine Arts (2 years).
- If students meet only one academic requirement (GPA or ACT/SAT scores), students must complete 12 college credits following high school with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater (on a 4.0 scale) for admission to the program.
Methodist College affords students the opportunity to transfer credits from another accredited college or university. The follow criteria are required for admission:
- An applicant with earned college credits must hold a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Transfer students must provide official transcripts from each college or university attended. Students who have been academically dismissed from another college/university may not be eligible for admission to Methodist College pending further evaluation by the department.
Sample Programs of Study
Biology Sample Plan of Study (pdf)
Pre-Dentistry Sample Plan of Study (pdf)
Pre-Medicine Sample Plan of Study (pdf)
Pre-Pharmacy Sample Plan of Study (pdf)
Pre-Physician Assistant Sample Plan of Study (pdf)
If you would like to receive information on the Bachelor of Science in Medical and Life Sciences program, please complete the following interest form.