10 Things to Know About SGA President Sammy Gillham
Samantha “Sammy” Gillham is the 2019-2020 president of the Methodist College Student Government Association. Sammy loves Methodist College and how attentive and focused the staff are on student success, and is impressed with the faculty, and their experience and passion for the medical field.
But, wait! There’s more to know about Sammy!
- She is a junior in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program and is also pursuing a minor in Behavioral Health, a Gerontology certificate, and a Community Based Primary Care certificate.
- Cuba, Illinois is home, where she lives with her husband and two “energetic little boys,” sons Cody (10) and Colin (6).
- Sammy was a stay-at-home mom for eight years before she decided to jump on the opportunity to pursue her dream to become a nurse.
- She never thought she was “academically geared” until she started at her local community college (Spoon River College in Canton) and realized she had potential.
- She went on to graduate from Spoon River College with honors and earned an Associate of Science degree in Biological Science.
- She says she has been personally impacted by every single instructor she has had at Methodist College: from her first nursing course with Mary Willis, to her first clinical instructors, Sara Phillips and Cathy Jackson-Bruce. She is also thankful for instructors that take time to listen and encourage her, such as Marjorie Getz, Lisa Pitzer, June West, Colleen Karn, and Michelle Nielsen Ott.
- Her favorite staff person? Clara Sanders in Ollie's Café, who always welcomes Sammy with a warm smile and a positive attitude. In addition, Sammy says she has been influenced by Director of Admissions Alissa Selburg, and Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Dr. Deborah Garrison.
- Sammy loves serving on the Student Government Association. She was involved in student government at Spoon River College and wanted to continue to build on those experiences. She loves SGA and how it provides students a way to communicate their concerns, build lifelong friendships, and social skills.
- Her goals for her year as president are to create unity in the student body, provide opportunities that will enhance students’ educational experiences while studying at Methodist College, and incorporate new ideas to have fun and boost morale!
- She invites students to attend the Student Government Association monthly meetings: The 2nd Monday of the month from 12 – 12:40 p.m.!