Methodist College | State Authorization

State Authorization

Methodist College is approved to offer online education programs through its accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission and authorization through NC-SARA. Illinois is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) and Methodist College is an approved SARA institution. As such, Methodist College adheres to an established common set of standards for offering post-secondary distance education among member states, districts and territories. Participation in SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. Methodist College is currently authorized, licensed, registered, exempt or not subject to approval in all states. It is the student's responsibility to understand any special requirements in their state of residence. More information about SARA is available at  

State Authorization

Current authorized SARA member states include all U.S. States and Territories excluding California. The NC-Sara website provides a complete listing of SARA institutions by state.

Professional Licensure

A state's laws may require individuals to be licensed or have a certificate to practice a profession in that state. If a student lives outside Illinois and is pursing a degree in a field that requires a license or certification to practice, it is important for that student to determine whether their degree from Methodist College will qualify them for that license or certification. 

Students should contact their home state's licensing board to obtain the applicable requirements, rules, and regulations of their home state, and are responsible for determining whether an online distance education program will meet their home state's requirements for certification, licensure prior to enrollment at Methodist College.

Please be aware, programs that require a professional licensure in your home state may have different requirements particularly for any clinical or internship experience that may take place in your state. We strongly encourage you to reach out to the appropriate licensing agency in your home state before enrolling in an academic program outside of your home state.

State Requirements for Nursing Licensure (pdf)

Nursing Licensure Requirements by State (National Council of State Boards of Nursing-NCSBN)

If information regarding the field is not provided in the entry for the student's home state, then the student should consult the licensing agency indicated for their state for further information. 

Complaint Information

If a student lives outside of Illinois and has a complaint regarding the education that they are receiving at Methodist College, complaint procedures have been established to assist them. We encourage students to seek resolution to any concerns by discussing them informally with a staff member at the College. If a complaint cannot be handled informally, students may seek resolution of their concerns by following complaint procedures set forth by the College. If a complaint cannot be resolved at the College level, the student may contact the Illinois Board of Higher Education or the Higher Learning Commission. If the student resides in another state, they may contact the SARA Portal Agency of that state for further information.