How Online Learning Works
Online and Web-based courses are just as, if not more, rigorous than their face-to-face counterparts. Being successful in online coursework requires self-motivation, discipline, and basic computer literacy. Answer the follow questions to find out what you need to do to prepare yourself to be a successful online student.
- Can you create, save and manage files on your computer?
- Do you know how to install software on your computer if you need to?
- Do you currently have an e-mail address?
- Do you know how to send and receive e-mail attachments?
- Can you access e-mail and the web several times per week?
- Do you know how to "paste" text from a word processor into an e-mail message?
- Do you have your own computer with internet access at home?
All of our courses use these basic skills. If you answered no to any of the questions, you will learn how during the first course in this program.
Learning Style and Self-Motivation
- Do you stay on task without direct supervision?
- Can you prioritize your own workload?
- Are you good at assessing your own progress?
- Do you enjoy learning new computer or technology skills?
- Do you usually understand written instructions?
- Do you learn best from reading text and assignments?
- Are you planning to allocate as much time in your schedule for your online course as you would for a more "traditional" classroom course?
- Are you willing to initiate calls or e-mails to instructors for assistance?
During the first course of the program, you will learn more about time management and how to be a successful online student.
Typically you can plan on spending 9 - 12 hours per week for a 3 credit hour fully online course that is 8 weeks long. Most students find that they are more successful if they block out chunks of time to work on course assignments as well as logging into the course 3 - 5 days a week.
For blended courses, you should plan on 3 - 6 hours per week outside of classroom time for reading, watching online lectures and working on online learning activities.
Want More Information?
For more information please call 309-672-5513.